Sunday, June 19, 2016

I need sleep.



This year's Ramadhan is particularly hard on me. I've been fasting yearly since I was five, so not eating and drinking (or picking my nose!) during the day is not difficult, but it's the lack of sleep that's getting to me.


I am the kind of person who needs a lot of sleep to get them going. During Ramadhan, I have to wake up for sahur in the wee hours, which would not be such a bad thing, except that my kids seem to not be sleeping well at all nowadays. I try to go to bed earlier, but Alia is fighting her bedtime and is sleeping late daily. She refuses to sleep in her own room (suddenly, she's afraid of the dark, and tells me that she's scared because she can't see), and when she's in our bed she tosses and turns so bad that I can't fall asleep.


Then, not long she finally dozes off, Arif would start waking up, for various reasons - he had a bad dream, he wants a (literal) sip of milk, his binky fell out and is an inch away from his mouth, his head is up against the cot wall and he can't move any further, he can't stick his feet out between the rails because of his sleep sack, etc. - and in between Arif's cries I get an hour of shut eye, max. I am so tired, each day, every day, it's ridiculous.